Fall has arrived in Colorado, and with it comes the annual preparation of our homes and property for another snowy season. Rodents are also preparing for winter, and many of them tend to move into our warm homes and garages to seek shelter and plentiful food sources. There’s no doubt that mice, rats, and other rodents can cause considerable property damage, leading home owners to turn to the age-old method of poison to take care of the problem.
However, pet owners would be wise to take a step back and reevaluate the use of rodenticides in their homes and yards. Pets and rat poison simply do not mix, and the chemicals found in most rodenticides pose a serious risk to our dogs, cats, and even wildlife that eat poisoned rodents.